Maintenance for Better Playgrounds
Have a playground and trying to figure out what’s next? A safety audit and maintenance program is highly recommended. Not only can it extend the life of your equipment, but a plan will identify playground hazards. Using the plan to guide repairs will help protect children from injury and also may protect your agency from costly liabilities.
There are various levels of playground maintenance. A program that establishes the standard of care is useful for all agencies that own playgrounds. This can range from daily to annual tasks, but key factors to consider are routine maintenance, safety compliance, hazard identification, accessibility, and assessing the playground surroundings. It is important to have a program in place for more routine maintenance, such as ensuring that the proper depth of surfacing is met. Periodically completing an audit of the play equipment and adjacent area for compliance with current safety and accessibility standards is also something that should not be overlooked. Having a plan in place for all of these items will help keep staff on task and meet risk management.
References for playground related standards and guidelines include:
- Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Public Playground Safety Handbook
- ASTM F1487 Standard Consumer Safety Performance Specification for Playground Equipment for Public Use
- ASTM F2223 Standard Guide for ASTM Standards on Playground Surfacing
- ASTM 1292 Standard Specification for Impact Attenuation of Surfacing Materials within the Use Zone of Playground Equipment
- Department of Justice ADA Guidelines and Standards
- The Dirty Dozen: 12 Playground Hazards
Are you considering getting a second look at your playground? Let the professionals at Upland Design help! Our staff are Certified Playground Safety Inspectors (CPSI) and have the experience assisting Owners with playground safety audits, replacement planning, and budgeting. Whether you need a safety audit of existing equipment, need a new play piece to bring excitement to your existing equipment, or a complete new playground call Michelle Kelly or Heath Wright at 815-254-0091.